This month I’ve learned two important things. First, my feature on Scott Neeson — photographed by VII Photo’s Ron Haviv — changed my life in a big way. I’ve never been one to obsess about getting rich. After all, I decided to become a journalist and that’s not exactly the fastest way to make millions of dollars. But throughout my life, I’ve been guilty of thinking I’d be happier if I had more. Mostly, I’ve had house envy: I always felt life would be better if I could live in a fabulous house located somewhere ridiculously expensive. Preferably without a mortgage. But talking to Scott — who had actually lived in one of the stunning houses I always coveted — changed my ‘need for more’ in a way I never thought possible. I feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Don’t miss his story.
Second, my feature on actress Tanna Frederick, who stars in next month’s The “M” Word by film maker Henry Jaglom, made me realize how much I love people who live with passion. People who are so busy “doing their thing” that they simply don’t have time to worry about what everyone else is doing. People who, when you hang out with them, make you feel as if you want to go out and conquer the world. Climb a mountain, if that’s your dream. And shout from the top.
That’s where the idea for Sweden With Love’s new section My Tribe came from. Because talking to Tanna, I realized how fun life is when you’re able to surround yourself with people like her. Someone who accepts you for who you are, give you a kick of energy and opens up your eyes to new possibilities. We need as many of those people as we can find in our lives. I don’t want to hang out with the “in crowd,” I just want to hang out with the kids in my tribe. So this site? Maybe it’s cheesy, but to me, it’s our tribe. I hope it can be yours, too. • Ulrica Wihlborg
The March issue has come to an end. In case you missed a story:
• Editor’s Letter: Welcome to March!
• Giveaway: If you haven’t entered this wonderful giveaway from Paloma’s Nest — an InStyle magazine Best Online Shopping Site — there’s still time. The deadline is midnight, April 1. Here are all the details.
• Sweden With Love’s Launch Video: It’s been a year since we officially launched. With the new design and web concept, I’m revisiting the fun of our Santa Monica, California launch party. Click here to watch!
• Ask 3: “What’s Your Most Peaceful Place?” This month, we reached out to four-time Grammy Award nominee Jewel, vegan handbag designer Heather Belle and Red25Events founder Heidi Mayne and asked where they head when they need a time out. I hope you’ll be uplifted by their answers and inspired to visit your own peaceful place.
• Cover Story: “The Secret To Being Happy.” Whatever our situation, we’ve all thought, “Wouldn’t life be perfect if that was mine? Wouldn’t I be happier if I lived in that house?” We’ll show you why not, and how to find true happiness.
• Healthy Treats: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. This vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free treat is the perfect way to celebrate spring.
• Mindful Living: Scott Neeson’s Moment of Clarity: The former Hollywood studio head had reached success beyond his wildest dreams. Then, during a vacation to Southeast Asia, he stumbled upon a small child in a garbage dump. What he did will take your breath away.
• Homes: Malibu Dreaming. An exclusive interior design feature on a stunning Malibu home decorated with finds from all over the world. Photographed by Martin Lof.
• My Tribe: Sometimes you meet a person who, within minutes of opening their mouth, you know is “just like you.” Your eyes light up, you feel a surge of energy and you think, “Yes! This is me. This is who I am. This person is My Tribe.” Actress Tanna Frederick, who stars in next month’s The “M”Word, is one of these people. Get inspired by Tanna’s Five Rules for Living!
If you like this story, please share it! If you love the photographs and quotes, please pin them!